Goal setting is the most customary practice in any workplace, but are we using the most efficient techniques? Knowing how to set goals is an important soft skill to have as a manager. According to OPM, “By aligning employee performance with organizational goals, supervisors direct their employees’ efforts toward maximizing accomplishments and supporting the agency’s strategic plans.”
When creating a goal, big or small, consider the acronym SMART. The following criteria will assure you that you are setting the right objectives in employee performance management:
- Specific: In order to focus your efforts, your goal should be clear and concise.
- Measurable: Create mini checkmarks, so that you can track your progress, stay motivated, and meet your deadline.
- Achievable: Your goals should challenge you but also be realistic and attainable.
- Relevant: Your goal should matter, align with other relevant goals, and drive everyone forward.
- Time-Bound: Give your goal a target date to keep yourself accountable.
Continuous performance management and frequent communication are necessary to keep your employees on track with their goals. Establishing check marks on when to check in with your employees will allow you to gauge the progression of their goals.
Utilize all the resources you can. Truvelop provides tools including contextual reporting and two-way feedback with Spark that helps top management and team members stay on top of their goals. With Truvelop, identify barriers that are standing in your way of success and learn how to foster two-way communication to overcome those obstacles.
In Truvelop’s Effective Goal setting in the Workplace e-book, we explore agile goal setting, goal-setting techniques that will allow your organization to progress, and how Truvelop can help achieve your next goal.
Download your e-book here!
Contact us today to learn more about our modern approach to performance management and development that actually improves the manager and employee relationship. Don’t just take our word for it, see what our Customers have to say.